VIDEO: Shared humanity a source of strength, says Mawlana Hazar Imam upon receiving the North-South prize
Lisbon, 12 June 2014 — Mawlana Hazar Imam and human rights activist Suzanne Jabbour were awarded the Council of Europe’s 2013 North-South Prize today. The prize was presented by the President of Portugal, His Excellency Aníbal Cavaco Silva, at a ceremony held in the Senate Hall of the Portuguese Parliament.
The growing diversity of populations in countries around the world is a fact, according to António Guterres, yet for some it is a source of discomfort. The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees shared his perspective in the Global Centre for Pluralism’s 2014 Annual Pluralism Lecture that he delivered last week in Ottawa.
Providing expectant mothers and newborns the highest quality of care, and giving children the best start in life is part of a value system that Ismaili Muslims have practiced for generations. In partnership with government, civil society, friends, and neighbours, the community is leveraging strong institutional foundations in Africa and Asia to make a meaningful difference.
World champion Ismaili athlete from Tajikistan hopes to translate success into better sport facilities for his country
Arthur Odilbekov of Tajikistan has been a determined athlete all of his life. He has won numerous tournaments on the Russian national stage in and internationally in various martial arts. With the 2012 World Championship in Pankration under his belt, he wants to see more training facilities and opportunities for Tajiks to pursue sport careers at home.
Around the world
- Kenyan leaders visit RAYS OF LIGHT exhibition; praise contributions of the Ismaili Imamat •
- Prime Minister of Tanzania inaugurates RAYS OF LIGHT •
- Aga Khan Hospital cancer programme is an important step towards premier healthcare system in East Africa, says Princess Zahra
- Determination, faith and discipline: An interview with Arthur Odilbekov •
- With clicking comes responsibility •
- Knowing what to do in an earthquake is vital
- UAE looks with anicipation towards the opening of the Aga Khan Museum •
- Ismaili Centre, Dubai hosts dialogue on social entrepreneurship •
- RAYS OF LIGHT radiates at the Ismaili Centre, Dubai
- UK Ismailis invited to mark Navroz at the Houses of Parliament •
- Video: Shale gas risks and opportunities weighed at Ismaili Centre Lecture in London •
- Dismantling the barriers of disability