This week, Ismailis and other Muslims mark Yawm‐e Ali, which commemorates the birthday of Hazrat Ali. The cousin and son-in-law of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him and his family), Hazrat Ali is recognised as the most important spiritual and intellectual authority in Islam after the Holy Prophet, who, in accordance with the Shia tradition of Islam, designated him under Divine Command, as the first in the line of hereditary Imams from the Prophet’s own progeny.
The lyrics, movement and music that reverberated throughout the auditorium of the Britten Theatre at The Royal College of Music, captured the imaginations of hundreds in the audience. In their annual flagship performance, the Ismaili Community Ensemble demonstrated that historical literature represents an important expression of thought, culture and civilisation.
Hina Hazrat is enabling young people around the world to turn their ideas into action. Last year, her digital youth network, which enables young people to put their social action ideas to work, find partners for their projects and collectively work for a better world, received recognition at the World Summit Youth Awards.
When heavy January rains caused massive flooding in south and central Mozambique, the Ismaili community and the institutions of the Ismaili Imamat quickly mobilized a response. A donation of food, medicine, tools, and supplies was assembled to help the Government of Mozambique support victims, volunteers and military forces who were providing assistance on the ground.
Around the world
- Aga Khan Trust for Culture to revitalise Nairobi City Park •
- Mawlana Hazar Imam arrives in Nairobi •
- Mawlana Hazar Imam attends inauguration of new EAC headquarters
- Asian Civilisations Museum and Far East Jamat showcase Ismaili culture •
- FOCUS India delivers search and rescue training as part of Delhi emergency exercise •
- Matchmaker pairs volunteer skills with institutional needs
- Ismaili Centre, Dubai hosts dialogue on social entrepreneurship •
- RAYS OF LIGHT radiates at the Ismaili Centre, Dubai •
- RAYS OF LIGHT to arrive at the Ismaili Centre, Dubai later this month
- Video: Sayed Ali Abbas Razawi delivers 2013 Milad-un-Nabi lecture at the Ismaili Centre, London •
- Ismaili Centre welcomes visitors during Open House weekend in London •
- “Bridging hearts, opening minds and doing things together” at the Ismaili Centre in Lisbon